Lessons learned
During the operation of a hackerspace, there are many questions and problems that arise from time to time. To save future spaces from having to find optimal solutions for common situations all over again, we're collecting a list of Do's and Don'ts here. Please add your experiences in the subsite for your hackerspace here. The goal is to collect the most common/best/creative solutions. Once we have enough reports here, they will form the hackerspace manual to come.
 HackerSpaces: The Beginning -- the book
- November 2012 Shareable article on San Francisco Bay Area hackerspaces and sudo room
- November 2011 Forbes post on hackerspaces
- November 2009 Wall Street Journal article on the hacker(space) movement
- October 2009 Pine Magazine article on the Freeside Atlanta hackerspace
- September 2009 Zurnal (SK) article on Hackeri (hackers) (engl. translation by google)
- August 2009 CRE podcast on Hackerspaces - sorry, only in German!
- August 2009 openNASA article on Hackerspaces & NASA
- July 2009 Taetowiermagazin article on hackers, tattoos, and the CCC (from SIGINT)
- July 2009 Le Monde article on 'Les nouvelles tribus du Net' - Vienna (Metalab et.al.) and Vitry-sur-Seine (/tmp/lab & Hacker Space Festival 2)
- May 2009 Make Magazine Japan article on hackerspaces.org and 4nchor5_la6
- May 2009 BoingBoing article on 'Hackerspaces and hippie crashpads' - feat. monochrom's 'Hacking The Spaces' essay. A collaborative work-in-progress on that subject can be found under Rewriting_Hacking_the_Spaces
- April 2009 Washington Post article on HacDC & the hackerspace movement
- March 2009 BoingBoing article on 'Hackerspaces around the world', a reaction to the previous Wired article
- March 2009 Wired Article on hackerspaces
- January 2009 Die Zeit article on 'Heime für Hacker' (hackerspaces) - sorry, only in German!
- Hacker's chit chat on hackerspaces, with links
- Wikipedia on Hackerspaces
- Electronics Lab What you need for an electronics lab
- Hackerspace Design Patterns - Thorsten Haas, Lars Weiler, Jens Ohlig - August 17, 2007
- Building a Hacker Space - Lars Weiler, Jens Ohlig - December 27, 2007
 Video recordings
- Building a Hacker Space @ 24c3 (2007)
- Building Hacker Spaces Everywhere - Your Excuses are Invalid (broken link) @ The Last HOPE (2008)
- Building an international movement: hackerspaces.org @ 25c3 (2008)
- Hackerspaces: The Legal Bases -- presented by nicolle neulist at DEFCON 17 on August 2, 2009.
 Other recordings
- SecuraByte Ep.3 on 'HacDC and Hackerspaces', Sep. 10th, 2008
- For a list of other flicks & movies on the subject, see HackerFlicks!
 Risk Management
- Release of Liability Form - Spaces who have a large number of individuals utilizing the space for hardware project construction should consider having participants sign a release to limit the liability of the organization in the case of an incident.
- Insurance - What is needed for liability insurance within and between different countries.
 Bylaws and Regulations
If you hunt a bit around these web sites you can often find the Articles of Incorporation, NonProfit Forms, and other public documents. also note that most of these are from USA.
- sudo room Articles of Association -- Oakland, California, United States.
- Noisebridge bylaws -- San Francisco, California, United States.
- Pumping Station: One bylaws -- Chicago, Illinois, United States.
- HacDC -- Washington, DC, United States.
- Makers Local 256 -- Huntsville, Alabama, United States.
- VHS draft bylaws -- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Hive13 Bylaws - Hive13 Cincinnati, Ohio, United States.
- Arch Reactor bylaws Arch_Reactor -- St Louis, Missouri, United States.
- ATX Hackerspace -- Austin, Texas, United States
- Labitat Guidelines -- Copenhagen Denmark
- QC_Co-Lab by-laws -- Davenport Iowa, United States
- I3 Detroit Bylaws -- Detroit, Michigan United States
- Makelab Charleston Bylaws --Charleston, South Carolina, United States.
- Ohm Space Bylaws Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
- Estatuto do Garoa Hacker Clube São Paulo, SP, Brasil.
- DFW Makers Club bylaws - DFW Makers Club - Dallas-Forth Worth, Texas, United States.
- There is a hackerspaces.org email list for various hackerspace enthusiasts to talk about finances. This might include fundraising ideas, strategies, member donations, tax laws, or anything finance related.
 Fundraising Events
 Other Resources
- Design - The official hackerspaces design (logos, fliers, etc).
- Theory - A harbour for theory on hackerspaces.
- Name Ideas - Because names of existing spaces shouldn't be your only inspiration.
- a timeline of the founding dates of hackerspaces
- a timeline showing the latest modification dates of hackerspaces wiki pages
This data is vastly interpretative and not to be trusted ultimately (but I figure that'd be obvious...)
 Download CSV
basically, the full 'list of hackerspaces' to download: CSV