Global Hackerspace Cupcake Challenge 2011
View the results of the contest live Sunday February 20th at 3pm EST here http://www.ustream.tv/user/alphaonelabs
To mail a cupcake to another hackerspace in pristine condition.
- Cupcake must be a standard sized or larger cupcake with frosting and at least one sugar based topper/decoration.
- The cupcake should be home made or in the hackerspace, points to be deducted for store bought cupcakes.
- Distance must exceed 1600 kilometres (1000 miles) great circle distance (calculator), bonus points for over seas.
- The package can have dimensions up to 30cm by 30cm by 30cm (1ft by 1ft by 1ft) and weight up to 2kgs (4lbs).
- The package must be sent by a reasonably priced shipping method, days in transit will be considered in the scoring.
- A video must be taken while opening the package and uploaded to Youtube or similar.
- All participating spaces must have their ustream or similar link on the matrix page during the Synchronous Hackathon.
 Adding yourself to the ustream matrix
The rules section (above) as a link to the ustream matrix. To add yourself to the matrix simply edit this page and add your ustream ID to the end of the URL.
Your ustream ID can be found in the URL of your broadcast, it'll be a 7(ish) digit number.
The recieving hackerspace will be the judge of the condition of the cupcake.
 Judging Criteria ((1-10) on each)
- The creativity of method used to stabilize the cupcake
- The stability of mixture / quality of ingredients
The scoring will contain various factors. In addition to the Judging Criteria listed above you can also score based on:
- A before blog post (Spread the word about the Cupcake Challenge and add your link to the spreadsheet) +1 for this
- An after blog post (A writeup of the cupcake you recieved) +1
- Holding a hackathon - If your space will be open for people to use during the hackathon +1 here, please make sure your space is listed on this month's Synchronous Hackathon page
All hackerspaces and members of them. Coordinate which hackerspace you will be sending to and recieving from in this google spreadsheet (which will be used to tally the scores) https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am7eQuixxEoidHMxNFRlYzFidHdzcXVuN3BxUjRpaFE&hl=en
Cupcakes will be created and packaged during the Synchronous Hackathon the weekend of January 15th and shipped out the first postal day thereafter. The winning Hackerspace will be announced once the final cupcake is received and scored.
At your local participating hackerspace.
 Cupcake recipes
Suggest your favourite cupcake recipe.
I haven't tried these recipes yet but I've heard good things. http://www.faircake.co.uk/recipes.html
 Importing Food
Most countries operate strict border controls on importing food stuffs, especially when they contain animal products like milk and eggs. A gift of a single cupcake for personal use should normally fall into an exempted category. This section collects relevant information for participating countries and regions.
Any shipments within Europe should have no problems. Shipments from outside Europe should also be exempt, as per Commission Regulation (EC) No 206/2009.
7. Exempted animal products The following products are exempted from the rules explained previously: -- bread, cakes, biscuits, chocolate and confectionery (including sweets) not mixed or filled with meat product, .. -- any other food product not containing any fresh or processed meat or dairy and with less than 50 % of processed egg or fishery products.