Grand Opening "The Spot" - Hackerspace Charlotte
|Grand Opening "The Spot" - Hackerspace Charlotte|
March 23rd Grand Opening - Hackerspace Charlotte
Hackerspace Charlotte has moved into it's new home. The hackers have been working hard to get the space cleaned up and ready to use. All the gear is in and we're ready to show of our new digs and celebrate that we're ready to go. Our new home is 1111 D Hawthorne Ln and was previously known as "The Spot". It gives us twice as much elbow room as our previous location (NewCo in NoDa) including not one but two bathrooms! It's a much cleaner space and now a safe distance from any railroad tracks. We will have plenty of games and activities for everyone.
- Dry Ice Jenga
- QuadCopters, demos
- 3D Printers, demos
- Compressed Air Rockets - build and launch (at night with glow sticks)
- Foam Gliders cut on our CNC Machines
- Super Sized Jenga
- Foam RC Planes cut from our CNC Machines
- Lockpicking - lessons and demos
- Feltronics demos and lessons in electronics
- Fun with Liquid Nitrogen - Ice cream, and perhaps alcohol
- Food Tripping with dulci berries
- Astronomy - big telescopes, stars, planets, etc
- Froot - carbon infused fruit
- Demos of everyone's cool projects
- Discussions about what to do next
- Card Games, Board Games, Video Games - Zombie Flux, Setters, MAME (arcade emulator), etc
Many follow ups - lessons, detailed instruction, plans, meetings, will be offered through out the day on Saturday after the Grand Opening party Friday Night. We will gauge interest Friday night to figure out what we need to offer Saturday.
We are open to the public whenever the space is open. If the lights are on, come on it. Our regular meetings (guaranteed to have the lights on) are every Tuesday night at 7:30, now at 1111D Hawthorne Ln (aka "The Spot"). And once a month on the first Friday of every month at 7PM we host a "Hacker Friday" - a special day not terribly unlike our grand opening where we do extra special things to welcome the public into the space and make sure we have plenty of people and projects on hand to really let everyone know what we do. But remember, anybody can stop by any time the space is open, you don't have to be a member to check out the space or to use it. You only have to be a member to get a key to the space so you can open it whenever you want.