Hackerspaces Global Space Program/Ethics
Space exploration can be dangerous business. Smart people can achieve many potentially nasty things, and some space technology we develop has the potential to be put to very bad uses by unethical people.
What technologies could be used in a very bad way?
- Rockets - could be used to create missiles
- Satellite communications networks - could be used for terrorist communication
Responsible disclosure/ethical policy
As an example, the ASRI operates according to the following principles:
- Cooperate with local laws of our country.
- Cooperate with anything that the government asks us to do.
- Pay attention to what the Missile Technology Control Regime says.
- If in doubt, ask for advice from the Australian Safeguards and Nonproliferation Office (or whatever the equivalent government legal experts are in your country.)
- Always ensure maximum safety during development and testing, following the strictest safety practices of the community.
- How can we consider the consequences of our actions? What questions should we ask ourselves before moving forwards?
- Should we setup a formal agreement with boundary conditions? What terms?