Hacker residencies or hackers-in-residence (also hacker-in-residence) are programs to find, accept, and host an individual or group in a region or single hackerspace to work on some project, set of tasks, or open-ended benefits for a limited amount of time. Hopefully there is some means of financial support including but not limited to: travel fare, housing, food, general living costs, and perhaps other costs like insurance or materials.
Projects may be specified beforehand, but an advantage of a residency program is the opportunity for creativity and serendipity, inspired from the space, people, and area of residence.
 The map
Shows currently active hackerspaces that are open to host residencies ("yes" or "maybe").
Note: some might be missing because their Location attribute is not set properly
 The list [Active]
Currently there are 71 active hackerspaces possibly accepting residents worldwide. (Yes: 28, Maybe: 43)
 The list [Planned]
There are 22 hackerspaces planned, that would like to accept residents in the future (Yes: 6, Maybe: 16)
Help make these happen!
 People interested in hacker residences
Add yourself here
 Future work
- List of residencies
- verify these spaces can actually host
- ability to express residency details ("what you can do where" etc)
- TODO: fix location coordinates on those missing <- there is probably a query to find these ... like "if location field is empty" - don't know how to write it... ^Dcht00
- There ought to be some way of seeing who's done what, where, when ... also to ease booking
- could use BeWelcome or sth similar?
- make sure residence hacklabs list their tools etc more - they need to be more open to the outside in this regard than usual hackerspaces tending to locals!
- more general resources on hacker travel & hackbases (links)
- promote "Residency" attribute
- does Space API support it? properly?
- talk about hackbases