State or District
Date of founding
2141 Broadway, Oakland, CA, 94612
Number of members
Size of rooms
Open to Exchanges?
Open to Residencies?
|Location||37° 48' 38.9", -122° 16' 4.8"|
Sudo Room is an open, non-hierarchical, collaborative community of humans, including tech developers, citizen scientists, activists, artists--and all combinations in between and beyond!--who are interested in and working towards social change. Our goal is to create the first inclusive, dedicated hackerspace in downtown Oakland, to share ideas and projects in citizen science, digital citizenship and literacy, environmental sustainability, community engagement, and self-government.
Sudo Room is committed to access, empowerment, transparency, and public/social good. Sudoers have a great diversity of interests and we emphasize respect and solidarity among ourselves and with others.
- Our weekly planning meetings take place:
- Every Wednesday evening from 7-9pm at 2135 Broadway St., Oakland, CA (near the 19th St BART).
- Anyone interested in learning more about Sudo Room, meeting awesome people, and participating in our emergent community is welcome to attend!
- Many thanks to hackerspaces.org for our initial email list: sign up here.
Current Critical Momentum
We are now:
- Forging a Compact.
We made headway with:
- How we make decisions.
- Developing our Governance Structure
- How we create income.
- How we define membership.
- We have a room, are seeking more room?
As per discussions and polling, we are moving toward these steps:
- August 10th - Get bank account
- August 24th - Expand membership, get a sense of paying members
- August 31st - Get first payment
- September 3rd - Rent for Space
- Conduct research on other hackerspaces, exploring their models of community, governance and funding.
- Create a list of open knowledge ecosystem organizations in the Bay Area.
- Examine potential tax structures
Needs to be Updated
- To found a creative community hacker space in the East Bay, specifically in Oakland, CA.
- Establish a platform and space committed to:
- Citizen science
- Democratic Culture
- Access to Knowledge
- Freedom to Connect
- Non-technical (humanities, social science, the environment/ environmental justice, arts, crafts, all the squishy stuff!) and technical knowledge (including transitions and bridges between the two) --
- the useful arts & sciences?
- information, data, knowledge, wisdom?
- memes, genes, bits, and atoms?
- Non-technical knowledge includes but is not limited to expertise in fields or disciplines that can be largely independent of technology. Also includes non-academic realms of knowledge.
- Digital/Online Citizenship - Netizen Rights & Freedoms
- Doing stuff to make our community openly accessible.
- ...to do something more with digital and network technology
- Environmental sustainability
- Education and mentorship
- Community engagement
- Public access
- To become a center for active hacking projects but also a destination where speakers on the areas listed above may be hosted, and where folks may go for skill sharing classes
- Build a community and group of members, grow our ideas together, and open a space before the end of 2012.
- Create online presence and communications infrastructure
- Hold weekly meetup / salon.
- Collect membership dues to start building a budget as a Voluntary [membership] Association.
- Apply to relevant grants, fellowships, and various funding opportunities.
- Read (and contribute to) our list of projects to see (and inform) what kinds of projects we will be able to do in this space! You can also see projects we've featured on our website.
Scratch pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudoroom
- Initial Meeting
- First Wed Meetup
- 12-07-2011 Meetup
- 12-14-2011 Meetup
- 12-21-2011 Meetup
- 12-28-2011 Meetup
- 01-04-2011 Meetup
- 01-11-2011 Meetup
- 01-18-2011 Meetup
- 01-25-2011 Meetup
- 02-01-2011 Meetup
- meeting minutes black-hole!
- 02-22-2012 Meetup
- meeting minutes black-hole!
- 04-25-2012 Meetup
- meeting minutes sort-of-black-hole, we have these somewhere...
- 05-16-2012 Meetup
- 05-23-2012 Meetup
- 05-30-2012 Meetup
- 06-06-2012 Meetup
- 06-13-2012 Meetup
- 06-20-2012 Meetup
- 06-27-2012 Meetup
- 07-04-2012 Meetup
- 07-11-2012 Meetup
- 07-18-2012 Meetup
- 07-25-2012 Meetup
- 08-01-2012 Meetup
- 08-08-2012 Meetup
- 08-15-2012 Meetup
- 08-22-2012 Meetup
- 08-29-2012 Meetup
- 09-05-2012 Meetup
- 09-12-2012 Meetup
- 09-19-2012 Meetup
- 09-26-2012 Meetup
- 10-03-2012 Meetup
- 10-10-2012 Meetup
- 10-17-2012 Meetup
- 10-24-2012 Meetup
- 10-31-2012 Meetup
Creating a new minutes page? Copy and paste the code from herein a new minutes page: Sample Meeting Minutes Template.