This is a shared knowledge commons on our options to make decisions with Sudo Room. This may be more complicated than options for Income, so a template is provided, feel free to reject the template and use a free-form response below.
- 1 Current Decision-Making
- 2 Decision-Making Options
- 3 Free-form Decision-Making Responses
- 4 Resources About Decision-Making Forms and Processes
At a meetup, we arbitrarily decided to use this interim process for making decisions until we formalize a draft of our membership and governance model, which will require more critical insight (see #Decision-Making Options).
- Non-binding votes at weekly meetup for all in attendance! (Includes dissenting opinions for valuable insights.)
- Post of minutes and votes on e-mail list! (For watching, feedback, inclusion.)
- Authoritative documentation of paths and steps on the wiki! (The ultimate storage of our shared knowledge and work.)
What kinds of decisions need to be made?
- Membership Do we have it? If so, what are the levels/ benefits/ rules of engagement & expectations? :*
- Project Endorsement. When does SudoRoom attach its name and "backing" to a project, if ever?
- Governance Structure How do we make decisions on behalf of SudoRoom? Are financially-concerned decisions different or do they involve a different group of people vs. other kinds?
- Activities (non-hacking). Will SudoRoom have speakers/ events/ classes? What system or structure do we put in place to facilitate this? Do others need to agree on any aspects of these "extracurricular" activities?
- META and BUSINESS decisions
- Rent? Utilities? Insurance? Liabilities? Changes to group structure? Dissolution?
- (other response)
Who makes decisions?
- All parties interested in (or affected by?) the topic being decided upon
- All members
- All space users
- Another subset of users
How are these decisions made (by what process)?
- Member Consensus
- Delegated Proxy Voting
- Anything but Majority Vote. For simple decisions that don't need a formal process (e.g. what movie to watch during the next movie night), consider using Approval Voting (e.g. use check boxes rather than radio buttons).
Where and when are these decisions made?
- Online (proposals and concerns?)
- Weekly meetings (agenda and discussion?)
- delay/schedule for introduction & decision making, allowing for asynchronous discussion
Free-form Decision-Making Responses