Sudo room/funding opportunities
- Burning man projects, Black Rock Arts
- Awesome opportunity to meld arts and the sciences, for fun, but also to communicate and make scientific knowledge accessible.
Most Important things for a Project
- Pitch video
- Depends on what you're doing, but it needs to be clean.
- "Cool" cause buzz, maybe viral marketing. Present images of the kind of thing going on.
- We host events, doing things that would show up in the space.
- Media ready, e.g. photos, logos, external website, social media, press release, blog roll.
- Work the connections, reddit, techcrunch, boingboing, gizmodo.
- Setting a goal, and an accurate budget. More about being clear.
- If you reach your goal, you're likely to exceed it 31%, shoot a bit lower!
- People need to like your cause, they can be involved and feel like they supported something substantial.
- Need some seeders, even encouraged!
- Gauge your goals based on your network, and how big it is.
- Build heuristics for how much you can get (e.g. $40 / person).
- Average is $75
- Need to have good perks (read ideas below)
- $25, $100 are the most important price points, in that order.
- Keep posting media after campaign launches --> you earn 81% more money!
- If you're working with a team, you raise 80% more money.
- Sponsor a square-foot-month (actually write their names on the square feet)!
- e.g. $25 gets you a 1 sq. ft. for 6 mo.
- Groups using the space for meetings, a big amount!
The main concept here is to get the word out, publicize, find opportunities for major support, while also bringing in a bit of money for the space. Should be fun, fairly easy, valuable to supporters and above all: do-able.
- Some useful little gadget
- "Hacking is Not a Crime"
- "This Machine Kills Fascists"
- Official seal / support sticker (e.g. like "police support" stickers that get you out of traffic tickets)
- Some sort of web hosting / application service.
- Something cute like a "free consultation"
- Personalize services to a range of skills members have.